Monday, April 27, 2009

If ever I have made a mistake...

...that's right, I admit it. I made a huge mistake. At the time it seemed like a great idea, clever even. But, alas, it has turned into quite a nuisance. "What am I talking about?" you ask. I decided to get a UGA themed debit card. See, I had to get a new debit card and the options were stupid blue Bank of America card that a trillion people have or something a little more personalized. And being that I have a strong need for individuality I decided to get a red debit card with the Georgia "G" on it. In my head I was thinking "what could be better? I love the dawgs and the world needs to know it." So I got the UGA card.
Here's the problem-I use my debit card at least a trillion times a week (don't freak out mom, me saying "a trillion" is hyperbole...not an accurate picture of my spending habits...I don't need a talk on financial responsibility). And about 1/2 a trillion times, the person making my transaction feels the need to comment on the card. Now I know that Jesus tells us to love our neighbors, but he doesn't say that I have to talk to everyone I see and sometimes I just don't want to talk to you Old Navy checkout lady. I just don't...give me my clothes and let me be. But now they see a way into conversation and that way is the Georgia "G." I mean what am I supposed to say? "Yeah, I'm an alumna and probably the only one that never went to a band party" or "Yeah, my team is better than your" and, then poke them in the eye? I don't know...It is awkward and I don't like it.
So here are your lessons...get over your need for individuality and get the normal bank card-trust me no one says a word to you about it. Or if you are one of the many who are employed by a business who accepts debit cards, don't comment on the card. I know you think that a personalized card says of its owner "hey, talk to me about my card b/c I took extra time picking it out", but it doesn't say that and if you aren't careful you will get poked in the eye and that isn't fun.

2 comments:

melaina said...

i'm glad your back. Sorry that strangers force you into conversation. But at least you got a blog post out of it. :)

Anonymous said...

Solutions:
1.Go to TARGET. Their card machine sucks your card in straight from your hand and promptly delivers it right back. Then they don't even have to see it.

2. Or, move across the country where my plain Bank of America card (with my ID photo on it) is absolutely the most novel idea ever. Apparently they don't have that out here, so everyone comments on my plain card. Ridiculous.

3. Switch to the Dave Ramsey cash-only system. I'll probably never do it...but every conservative evangelical must mention his name in every financial conversation.

Miss you friend!