Friday, October 24, 2014

Life, Death and a Day at Jesus's House

      John 1:35-39 is one of the most interesting passages to me. Sometimes I get frustrated because I want Scripture to give me a day to day of Jesus's life. I want the silly, the boring, the normal. So, I love this glimpse. Can you imagine? Seeing Jesus and when he turns to you asking what you want. And you want to know where he is staying (I'm thinking that was their cop out question, because, hey, what do you ask the Lamb of God? I got tongue tied when I met Javy Lopez in ninth grade and he was just a baseball catcher, not the Savior). And do you know what Jesus does? He invites them over! That simple. He tells them to come hang out. And they do. For the whole day.
     In my head the day kind of went like a slow football Saturday which are some of my favorite kinds of days. Easy. Slow. Fun. Quality time because nothing is forced. But I have no Scriptural evidence of that. Just hope. And imagination. Anyhow, I love this passage because I think it is important to remember that not only did Jesus give his life up for us in death, but he gave his life up for us in how he lived. He died and LIVED sacrificially. With love. If I were in Jesus's place that day, I probably wouldn't have invited those guys to my house because I'm introverted (and its so easy to hide behind that label in our culture right now) or my house was messy (and the judgement of a messy house ends friendships...or so I've heard) or strangers are the worst. But he didn't. He sacrificed a quiet day to allow people into his life. To make time and space to love them. To know them.
      Jesus gives us a lot of examples like this. He weeps with Mary and Martha instead of telling them to buck up and deal. He stops to heal. He goes to a tax collector's house for dinner. He sacrifices. And not only in what we are shown, but in what we aren't. He sacrifices a steady home, a wife and children. A "normal" life. He chose not to do those things, because he was moving towards the cross. And let's not forget that His existence didn't start the day he was born in a manger. He has always been. That means He gave up 33 years in heaven to live on earth FOR us. And that makes no sense to my finite mind, but I know its true and it makes my heart grateful.

"We know love by this, that He laid down His life for us; and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers." 1 John 3:16

     For me, it's important to remember that when I'm thinking about loving other people like Jesus, it's not just in sacrificing our lives, but sacrificing our day to day. Our normal. It's making space and room to love others like Jesus did that day for John's disciples. 

No comments: