Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Let's all wear Flannel!

     Remember when Katy Perry's California Girls came out? Me too. That was a time. Driving back from the beach one evening, some sweet friends and I rewrote it to be Presbyterian girls, because we're really funny (and cute). To my recollection it went something like this:

Presbyterian girls, we're unforgettable.
Rainbow shoes and v-necks on top.
Sunkissed tans, so hot in our one pieces
Oh oh oh oh

     I'll spare  you the rest, but we were pretty pleased with our rewrite. You're welcome Katy.

     Why do I bring this up other than we all need a laugh after the last 4 serious posts? Because there are some distinct boundaries in how denominations dress. Seriously. It takes about .3 nanoseconds to figure out what kind of church a Christian woman goes to. And that's not to say that any of the denominations are better dressers than another, but different for sure. Here are my observations (and, ya'll, this is meant to be funny, so just take a deep breath and laugh a little*).

1. Presbyterian Girls (my own kind)-are we southern, are we indie mountain folk? That's the question. We wear pearls with our flannel and chacos with our skirts. Messy buns are our hair style of choice. But seriously. We put ourselves together well, but we're laid back and easy going. I like to think we're simple in our elegance. We can't be overly done because at any point we may have to defend Calvin or Luther and you just can't do that well when hindered by a puffy vest. Trust me. Also, our hair isn't going to be perfectly styled everyday, because grace says that I don't have to turn my straightening iron on every day of my life. Hallelujah! Wispies are beautiful.

2. Non Denominational Girls-also laid back, but always pulled together. They think in outfits and have conquered the basics adorned with unique pieces look. And my hat goes off to them. They will wear a puffy vest over a basic striped long-sleeved shirt and it will look fantastically effortless. Where Presby girls love a crossbody bag, non-denom girls love a good graphic tote. They can fit more journals in there than other bags. Their hair is on point. Not overly done, but they put effort into it. It's probably straight and pinned back on one side with fantastic volume. And it will hold up all day. #endurance

3. Baptist Girls
    See above, but bigger hair and earrings.

You're welcome internet. You're welcome.


*Also, this may or may not be based on random not so thought through thoughts. Welcome to my brain! Enjoy!

Pretty Fall Flower on my desk

Those Dixon kids keeping it classy



1 comment:

Susan said...

Oh come one. I'm never put together and wear decidedly small earrings. ;)

Did you really write "sew"? Play on words?